Finding sewage in your garden can be an unpleasant and distressing experience. Not only does it create a foul odour and an unsightly mess, but it also poses serious health risks. If you find yourself in such a situation in Crawley, England, it’s important to know who to call for assistance.
- Stay Safe: Before taking any action, prioritise your safety and that of your family members. Sewage contains harmful bacteria and pathogens that can cause infections and diseases. It’s crucial to avoid direct contact with the sewage and ensure that children and pets stay away from the affected area. Refrain from using water sources such as taps or toilets until the problem is resolved.
- Identify the Source: Determining the source of the sewage problem will help you address the issue more effectively. It could be a result of a blockage in your property’s sewer pipes, a malfunctioning septic tank, or an issue with the main sewage system. If you have a septic tank, check if it requires emptying or maintenance. Otherwise, the problem may lie in the municipal sewage system, in which case, contacting the appropriate authorities is crucial.
- Call the Local Water Authority: In Crawley, the local water authority responsible for sewage-related issues is Southern Water. You can contact their customer service helpline at 0330 303 0368. Inform them about the situation and provide details about the extent of the problem. They will guide you on the necessary steps to take and may dispatch a team to inspect and resolve the issue.
- Seek Professional Assistance: While waiting for the water authority’s response, you may also consider calling a professional drainage and sewage company in Crawley. These specialists have the expertise and equipment to handle sewage-related emergencies promptly. They can assess the situation, identify the underlying cause, and provide appropriate solutions. Look for reputable local companies that offer emergency call-out services, such as Prolilne Drainage Ltd.
- Document the Damage: To ensure a smooth insurance claim process, it’s important to document the damage caused by the sewage in your garden. Take photographs or videos that clearly show the extent of the problem. This evidence will help support your claim and facilitate any necessary repairs or clean-up.
Experiencing sewage in your garden can be a distressing situation, but it’s essential to take immediate action to mitigate the risks and address the issue effectively. By staying safe, contacting the local water authority, and seeking professional assistance, you can ensure that the problem is resolved efficiently. Remember to document the damage for insurance purposes and maintain good communication with the relevant parties involved. With the right approach, you can restore your garden and regain peace of mind.
Remember, if you find yourself in such a situation, don’t panic. Stay calm and follow the steps outlined above to resolve the sewage issue promptly and efficiently.